2021/22 RL Scholarship Announcement
ELIGIBILITY AND DEADLINES
RL Scholarships are open to current undergraduate and graduate students who are declared majors or minors in the Department of Romance Languages at the time of application. All students (Undergraduate & Graduate) must be enrolled as full-time* UO students during the 2021/22 academic year in order to receive a scholarship award.
*You are still considered a full-time UO student even if you are studying abroad.
Review details below to learn more about each award’s criteria and eligibility. Eligible students are encouraged to apply, regardless of citizenship and/or FAFSA eligibility. Financial aid for Dreamer students (undocumented, DACA-mented, Tuition Equity, and students of mixed status families) can be found at the UO Dreamers resource page.
The application may be found at the bottom of this page – consider applying today!
The following criteria apply to all scholarship applications (additional criteria may apply to individual scholarships, as indicated).
All applications must include:
1. A statement of purpose in applying for the scholarship (500 word limit). The statement should include personal qualifications, professional interest in the target language, and intended use of the scholarship.
2. A current unofficial transcript (minimum requirement: 3.50 GPA in major/minor coursework and 3.0 GPA overall)
3. Two letters of recommendation from UO faculty members (submitted via email, please use departmental form, see below). One letter must be from a Romance Languages faculty member.
For scholarships that support study abroad:
- A description of the Study Abroad program that you plan to attend. Documentation attesting acceptance into a program may be requested by the RL department.
For Stickles and Beall Scholarships:
- For the Stickles Scholarship, students will need to present documentation certifying registration and/or acceptance in a foreign university before their trip.
- For the Beall Scholarship, include brief statement (350 word limit) describing dissertation project, progress to date and plans for a fellowship term. One rec letter must come from your dissertation director.
For Leona M. Kail Scholarship Scholarships:
- Applicants must submit a financial need statement (brief statement explaining the need for scholarship funding, suggested length of 1 to 2 paragraphs)
Scholarship awards may have an impact on financial aid.
Please check with the Office of Financial Aid prior to accepting any scholarships!
UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS 2021/22
Françoise Calin Scholarship One $2,000 scholarship to continue studies in French. Priority will be given to applicants planning to study abroad. Open to juniors and seniors who are majors or minors in French or Romance Languages.
Emmanuel Hatzantonis Scholarship – Two $2,000 scholarships to carry out Italian studies in Italy with a UO-sponsored program. Open to majors or minors in Italian or Romance Languages.
Dr. Carl L Johnson Scholarship. Three $2,000 scholarships to assist one or more students with expenses related to attending the university, including but not limited to tuition, fees, books, miscellaneous supplies, room and board. Recipients will be selected based on the following criteria: Undergraduate student[s] in Romance Languages, with preference to those majoring in French; overall quality of academic work and achievement.
Helen Fe Jones Scholarship – $1,500 scholarship to study Spanish in a Spanish-speaking country. Open to juniors and seniors who are majors or minors in Spanish or Romance Languages.
Leona Kail Scholarship - $500 scholarship for study in the Romance Languages Department. Open to all majors and minors in the RL Department.
Perry J. Powers Scholarship – One $2,000 scholarship for study in the Romance Languages department. Open to all undergraduate majors and minors in the RL department.
Charles H. Stickels Scholarship – Three $2,000 scholarships in the absence of graduate students being awarded (see description in the graduate section below).
Please check the College of Arts and Sciences website for additional undergraduate scholarships, including the Hildegard Kurz Foreign Language Scholarship ($1000-3000), for sophomores, juniors, or seniors studying abroad. N.B.: CAS scholarships are not administered by Romance Languages and may have different deadlines and eligibility requirements.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM
Scholarship Application Packet (everything you need in one click!)
Scholarship Recommendation Form (to be given to instructors for completion)
DEADLINE: Completed application due in the RL Office by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, February 22, 2021.
Please email scholarship application to Maria Heider, firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters of recommendation should be emailed separately by the Referee to Maria Heider, email@example.com.
Applicants will be notified of their status (awarded/declined) in May 2021.